I'm looking to get a media player, and was hoping someone could give me some suggestions.
I have a lot of content on my network drive/computers that I want to play through the TV. My current solution is to plug in my laptop, but that's just a pain in the neck and it's too hard for my wife.
I'd also like something that will work with Netflix. I don't currently subscribe, but am seriously considering it.
Ideally I'd like:
- USB playback of all the standard formats for images, music and video.
- Playback of files from NAS or computers on my network.
- The ability to access Netflix.
- Easy for my wife to use (with a remote) as it's mainly so she can watch stuff online without me around.
- Bonus: access to SBS on demand and/or ABC iView
I tried a Chromecast, but that was too difficult to control. Sure it did what it was supposed to well, but pausing, etc was too much work.
If it replaced the DVD player and/or the HDD recorder too, I wouldn't complain! ;-) I think that's unlikely though without a full HTPC.
What are my options? Anything that would meet the above?
EDIT: to clarify about the Chromecast, my wife doesn't currently have a phone that can handle the app. And Plex was too complicated for her to use. I don't want something I have to control with my phone/PC-i want it to be self contained.
Edit 2: windows/android family, but phones are cheapo and have run out of room for more apps.