Only free for fares displayed as RM7 (~$2.30 AUD) or below
So I had a feeling that Grab might fight back and they have indeed chosen to fight back. Unlike the Uber promo, this applies to several major Malaysian cities and is not restricted to KL. It is also valid for an extra two days (until 6 Mar 2017).
With that being said, this promo is comprehensively better than Uber's promo. Grab decided to have a dig at Uber's promotion by offering free fares and saying:
Think RM1 rides are good? Been there, done that.
For those who are not familiar, Grab is Uber's rival in South East Asia. They have a strong presence in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam and Indonesia. Uber doesn't completely dominate these markets like they do in Australia (not many people use GoCatch).
The key difference between Grab and Uber in Malaysia, from memory, is that Grab is usually slightly cheaper. Unlike Uber, Grab drivers can see your destination, so they have the opportunity to be a little bit more selective with their passengers. Having said this, my experience with both Grab and Uber in Malaysia have been positive.
- Applicable for all Grab rides within Klang Valley, Johor Bahru, Penang, Melaka & Kota Kinabalu only.
- This promo is valid for all Grab services, except for GrabCar Premium, GrabCar (6-seater), GrabHitch or any special icon.
- If your fare is above RM7, the promo code WILL NOT be valid.
- Available for Cash or Cashless (Credit/Debit Card) payment method.
- Limited to 10,000 promo redemption per day.
- Limited to 30 ZERO Fare rides per passenger
- Not applicable with any other promos.
- Discounted price does not include toll charges.
- NOT VALID for rides to/from KLIA/KLIA2.
- Promo is only valid from 14 February 2017 – 6 March 2017.
- The Organiser reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time without prior notice.
There is also a competition as part of this promotion, but it is likely not relevant to many of us on Ozbargain, so I have removed the competition part of the T&Cs as I do not think it will be relevant. Click the link of the deal if you wish to see the details of the competition.
Am I allowed to post a referral code for Grab? I think this is only useable when you register for Grab using a Malaysian phone number.
If I'm allowed, here it is. This allows you to get an extra RM10 off, I assume, a future ride. Not sure what I get, but some amount of credit, I would assume.