Update: There were 149 unique commenters at 12AM 9 December, which means we will be donating $11,490 to 3 charities this Christmas. I am still going through the comments and looking at the suggested charities. Decision will be made sometime this week.
Update 2: Donations will go to
- Caritas Typhoon Haiyan Appeal
- Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery
- Vinnies Christmas Appeal
- Beyond Blue
It's the silly season again, and for this Christmas, OzBargain is going to donate $10,000 + <some undetermined amount> to a few charities that the OzBargainers choose. It's our second year doing Christmas donation (last year's Xmas donation here), and we'll be doing it a bit different this time.
I have actually already had a few causes that I would like to donate to, due to natural disasters happened this year, namely:
I think the donation might help out some victims, or fund related rescue work or prevention work. However I am not quite sure which charity or organisation to donate to. Might need your help here.
I would also like to ask for a 3rd charity to donate to. Something local that helps Australians. Something that's of Christmas spirit. Last year we had Swags for Homeless and The Orange Pigeon. Maybe something similar as well?
- Suggest me a charity for the NSW bushfire (SBS has a page on that).
- Suggest me a charity for the Philippines Typhoon Haiyan victims (international territory & looks like quite a few frauds out there).
- Suggest me a charity for Christmas (last year's list might be helpful).
How much would we give? It would be similar to our EoFY giving this year — $10,000 + $10 x number of unique commenters here, until mid-nigh Sunday 8 December. Note — there might be an upper-bound to make sure OzBargain and its staffs can still have a Christmas :) Also note that
- Creating multiple accounts on OzBargain is against our terms and conditions, and might get your accounts banned.
- Posting spam, personal attacks and trolling comments might get your comment removed (your account might be temporarily banned as well). Unpublished comments don't count towards the tally.
Once we work out the final amount to give, I will just split the amount to 3 and give to the charities next week.