In Borneo and my Olympus OMD EM 1 crapped out on me. Ideas?

Hi all, pretty much as per the above title.

Please excuse the poor formatting I'm on my phone.

I'm not sure if it's the humidity or what, the camera turns on, the LCD screen shows what is visible through the lens and the battery status symbol (doesn't show any of the other settings that normally appear, iso shutter speed etc), none of the buttons respond and then the screen turns off after about 5 seconds.

I am using the 12 - 40mm pro lens and the 75-300mm lens.

Any help is greatly appreciated.




    I had problems with the screen not responding & buttons not working because I was pressing the lens-release button while attaching lenses. This makes the camera do some weird things. DO NOT press the lens-release button when attaching a lens. Apart from that I've had no other probs apart from it freezing a few times. I have both those lenses & more.


    Have you tried a factory reset?

    Restoring Olympus OM-D E-M1 to it’s factory settings? Conform to the following instructions:

    Turn on your Olympus OM-D E-M1
    Press [MENU] button
    Select “Reset/Myset” in Shooting Menu 1
    Highlight “Reset” and then press >
    Select “Full” and press OK


    Does the same happen when you remove the lens?


    Hey all,

    Not pressing the lens button down when attaching the lens, so that's Deffo not it.

    None of the buttons are responding, so a factory reset wasn't possible.

    The same was happening with or without both lenses.

    And here is the kicker, I turned it on today and it works perfectly. I spent the night in an air conditioned room which I suspect helped the camera (although I am just assuming that).

    Although it is working now, it has taken away a tremendous amount of confidence in the camera. I paid over $2000 for a camera and lenses, went to Borneo to use them and wasn't able to.
    Would shops be obligated to give me a refund? I have a video of it not working.

    Thanks for the help all.


    Keep us posted here. I'm very interested in what happens just in case something similar happens to me or someone else. I hope you still got some great photos.


      I got a call from the service guy who said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. He said he sees the problem i'm describing sometimes in the OMD-EM5s, but hasn't seen it in the OMD-em1 before.

      He sent it back to me and now I have a camera that I'm not sure will work in the tropics.

      I think I'll hit up CameraHouse where I got it from and see if they have any ideas.

      Sorry it's not much help.


    Thanks, will do.

    I recorded what was happening on my phone so it's not great quality. I'll post it when I get home so you can see what it looks like.

    I have been in contact with Olympus but they said wait till you get back to Australia and we'll start sorting it out then.

  • Top