As an avid videogame nerd, I recently decided to buy a Nintendo 64 to add to my collection There was a big N64 seller whom I contacted to request a custom package (ie. Nintendo 64 console + several games).
After writing an essay, I decided it would be easier to put this story into dot points:
- Buyer responded with a price and requested to complete the transaction outside of eBay (in retrospect, I should have turned my back at this point)
- I responded, saying that i wanted to be covered by buyer protection, and for him to open an eBay auction with the items
- He responded saying I would still be covered by eBay protection, even if I bought the item outside of eBay (Yep, I must have been out of my mind).
- I responded saying that what he said made no sense.
- He then opened an eBay auction with title: "Auction for [My eBay username]" without any description
- I told him to add a description which mentioned the quality of the items.
- He did, and I paid for the item in full.
- He sent it same day, it arrived 9 days later by parcel post bag, which included several layers of AusPost bubble-wrap lined postage bags which I bet he didn't even pay for.
- I tried the console, it hardly worked. Games wouldn't play without without needing to be ejected and re-inserted over and over. Also, one of the controllers was modified (because it had a different coloured back) and one of the games didn't work at all.
- I contacted the buyer (same day it arrived), and after a few follow up emails he replied. First he offered to save me from sending the item back, and send a replacement console. I declined, because the console was not the only problem.
- He finally agreed to have it returned. I sent it back using the same packaging bags he used, and sent it back with Registered Post (ie. sign on delivery), but not before I took a bunch of photos of the items, as I suspected I might have further issues with this seller.
And alas, I got a reply from him a couple of hours ago:
"hey mate i just recieved back my nintendo 64 console, and i have to ask what the hell did you do to it? i cant even get a game cart inside it looks like you have bent the inner tray? also super smash bros works fine as the same with all the other games. this console i sent you was working 100% before i sent it as it was tested prior!
im sorry but im taking this up with ebay under the seller protection scheme!"
I guess my question is - what's my next step?
Sorry for the essay, despite trying to avoid writing an essay.