Single Car House - Looking for a Balance of Practical and Sporty - Suggestions?
Last edited 13/06/2018 - 15:22
Disclosure. I am not a car person. To me they are tools that don't need to be more than reliable and not visually offensive. We are a single car house.
The husband on the other hand watches car shows for fun.
We currently run a Mazda 3 MPS. Don't ask me the year, maybe 2011? It's black. It is in fine condition and I think perfectly 'keepable'. However, I am advised we should consider a newer vehicle for various reasons. Some of which I agree with. We are in no rush to buy but I'd like to know what I need to keep an eye out for.
I don't want to spend the earth. That money is better directed at mortgages and holidays. However, we need to balance his desire for something that looks good and is fun to drive with my desire to fit my groceries and two dogs.
I want to go to the negotiation table with him armed with some sensible options. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some hints on vehicles that might suit us. To my mind we need:
- Price up to $40k ish. This can be a bit flexible.
- Up to 18 months old, need not be brand new.
- Four doors with room for dogs
- Sporty enough to keep him happy BUT automatic to keep me happy (we currently have a manual but I have a bad ankle and find city traffic is not great)
- Not an ugly shoe box or a midlife crises car (to keep me happy)
- Not too much wider or longer than what we have to fit in the garage!
- Um four wheels?
I like the little BMW hatches but think they are more than I'd like to spend. He likes things that cost about five times what we are spending…
I suspect there is oodles I am missing - this is not my forte. But I do appreciate any help anyone can offer!
ETA - also thought of:
- Keyless entry/button start
- auto lights
- auto wind wipers.
Yes - I'm lazy.