Changing Property Address - Turning a Unit into a House
Hi everyone! Asking for some advice here please.
So I recently purchased a unit (2 units on one block of land).
The whole land is situated on a corner, Unit 1 is facing one street, while Unit 2 is facing the other street (both street have different names).
The address for Unit 2 follows the street Unit 1 is facing. (i.e. Address = 2/1 Street Unit 1 is facing)
There are no shared/common property at all and they both have their own individual driveway.
The unit I recently purchased is Unit 2.
My question is: Can I/ or what is the process of changing the property address so my unit has it's own street address?
My reasons for turning the property from a unit into a house, is so:
1) It has it's own individual street address.
2) Not confusing for the postman (The mailbox currently has the whole address of the unit on it in small writings)
3) Maybe the value of the property will go up because it is now a house instead of a unit?
4) It just makes sense that the property's address is actually the street it's facing.
5) Unit 1's mailbox actually just says one number, instead of indicating it's a unit (For example: 50, instead of saying 1/50).
I contacted the office of Environment, Land, Water and Planning and they said "it should be okay" and "there is no fee to changing the address", however I will need to go through a solicitor or conveyancer for the change/transferring of title, and then told me to ask the conveyancer who is helping me with my settlement.
I called my conveyancer and they are unsure as it's quite a rare scenario. Then quoted me $2000 for it - costing much more than settling the property.
I've looked online everywhere for information but could not find the right form and am unsure what to look for. Hence turning to the kind people on OzBargain.
Apologies if my explanation is confusing, first time buying a home and it's been a steep learning curve. Any advice will be useful though!
Thank you everyone!
Purchased corner Unit which is facing other street, but address is street Unit 1 is facing. Wants it turned into a house and have address as street it's actually facing.