Free Course: Introduction to Cybersecurity from University of Newcastle
Last edited 01/02/2019 - 06:29 by 2 other users
The Introduction to Cybersecurity course explores cyber trends, threats and staying safe in cyberspace, and protecting personal and company data. Learn how to protect your personal data and privacy online and in social media, and why more and more IT jobs require cybersecurity awareness and understanding.
Today's interconnected world makes everyone more susceptible to cyber-attacks. Whether you're attracted to the relativity new world of cybersecurity as a professional, or just interested in protecting yourself online and in social media, this introductory course is the answer. It explores cyber trends, threats - along with the broader topic of cybersecurity in a way that will matter to you. For instance, you'll learn how to protect your personal privacy online while gaining additional insight on the challenges companies, and governmental and educational institutions face today.
Digitisation creates business value through digitised assets and expanded connectivity. But it is also increasing exposure to cyber attacks. The exponential growth of networked connections leaves data more vulnerable to attacks, creating a growing need for Cybersecurity skills and professionals.
The Internet is a staple in many people's everyday lives. It is a great place fills with lots of information, but it is also full of dangers. Staying safe on Cyberspace is no longer an option as we have much to lose if we do not exercise caution. Introduction to Cybersecurity covers the importance of cybersecurity, awareness, data confidentiality and good practices when using the cyber space and social media. It walks participants through every aspects of security in a broad, easy to understand way and explains the value of securing data, both personal and for businesses.
The course demonstrates the great demand for cybersecurity professionals and opportunities in pursuing a career in security. The course modules define cybersecurity, explain why it's important, the impact of cyber attacks, and introduce the processes used to secure data.
Upon completion of this cybersecurity course, you will be able to:
- Describe what cybersecurity is and its potential impact to you.
- Understand the most common threats, attacks and vulnerabilities.
- Gain insights for how businesses protect their operations from attacks.
- Find the latest job trends and why cybersecurity continues to grow.
This cybersecurity course features:
- 5 modules.
- Interactive and instructional content.
- 8 Activities and 7 lab exercises that reinforce learning.
- 4 quizzes and 1 final quiz.
- Links to related resources.
The Need for Cybersecurity
Learn what cybersecurity is and why the demand for cybersecurity professionals is growing.
- What your online identity and data is, where it is, and why it is of interest to cyber criminals.
- What organisational data is, and why it must be protected.
- What cyber warfare is and why organisations, nations, and governments need cybersecurity professionals to protect their citizens and infrastructure.
- Learn the need for and importance of cybersecurity.
- Understand the characteristics and value of personal data, and data within an organisation.
Attacks, Concepts and Techniques
Learn how a cybersecurity professional analyses a cyberattack.
- Security vulnerabilities and the different types of vulnerabilities and malware.
- The techniques used by attackers to infiltrate a system.
- The characteristics and operation of a cyber attack.
- The trends in the cyber threat landscape.
- Recognise the characteristics and operation of a cyber attack.
- Interpret the trends in the cyber threat landscape.
Protecting Your Data and Privacy
Become aware of your personal devices and data.
- Tips for protecting your personal devices and data by creating strong passwords and using wireless networks safely.
- Authentication techniques helping you maintain your data securely with tips about what to do and what not to do online.
- Protecting devices from threats.
- Safeguarding your privacy.
- Understand how to protect devices from threats.
- Master how to safeguard your privacy.
Protecting the Organisation
Learn about the technologies, processes, and best practices used when protecting an organisation's network.
- Equipment, data, and the commonly used security terms such as botnets, the kill chain, and behaviour-based security.
- Cisco's approach to cybersecurity using a CSIRT team and a security playbook.
- Techniques for protecting organisations from cyber attacks.
- The behaviour-based approach to cybersecurity.
- Cisco's approach to cybersecurity.
- Learn techniques to protect organisations from cyber attacks.
- Recognise the behaviour-based approach to cybersecurity.
- Explain Cisco's approach to cybersecurity.
Will Your Future Be in Cybersecurity?
Explore educational paths towards certifications with the Cisco Networking Academy (NetAcad).
- Understand legal and ethical Issues in Cybersecurity.
- Explore the opportunities for pursuing an education and a career in cybersecurity.
The cybersecurity course is designed for anyone considering IT as a career with specialisation in cybersecurity. This exploratory course provides an introduction to cybersecurity. The curriculum will explore ways to be safe online, learn the different types of malware and attacks, measures used by organisations to mitigate the attacks, and research their career opportunities. The curriculum is appropriate for participants at many education levels and types of institutions, including high schools, secondary schools, universities, colleges, career and technical schools, and community centres.
Online, self-paced. Approximately 15 hours, 90 maximum days to complete.
This is a beginners level course. No prerequisites required. You may also be interested in our free Introduction to Packet Tracer Course.
About Cisco Networking Academy
As the world changes all around us, acquiring technical skills is what brings opportunity and the promise of education is what offers hope. For 20 years, Cisco Networking Academy has changed the lives of 9.2 million students in 180 countries by providing education, technical training, and career mentorship. Since 1997, Cisco Networking Academy has been working toward a single goal: fostering the technical and entrepreneurial skills that people, educators, and companies need to change the world for the better.
- 7.8 million students: The education Cisco Networking Academy provides has the power to change people’s lives, elevate careers, and transform communities.
- 70% become leaders: Cisco Networking Academy students do more than gain technical mastery, they come away prepared to drive innovation and help companies meet the challenges of digital transformation. 70% of those who complete advanced courses obtain new or better jobs, take on increased responsibility, or earn higher pay.
- 180 countries: Cisco Networking Academy quickly grew to become a movement that is transforming entire communities, and delivering a pipeline of talent to fuel business transformation and take on global problems.
- One billion people: Cisco Networking Academy plays an essential role in Cisco’s commitment to positively impact over one billion people by 2025 through digitisation. For 20 years, Cisco Networking Academy has inspired people to take on the trends, technologies, and challenges changing the world. And they’ll be there, leading the charge, for the next 20 years and beyond.