IFTT Compatible Home Automation Advice
Last edited 20/05/2019 - 15:51
I really want to get my new home pimped up with a sweet home automation setup.
Current State at my current place:
- Amazon Alexa Echo Plus (which has a Zigbee hub built-in)
- Xiaomi Gateway
- Xiaomi Motion Sensors
- Xiaomi smart plugs
- Xiaomi Switches
- Synology NAS
- Xiaomi Motion Sensors trigger gateway alarm and phone notifications based on Automation rules setup on the Xiaomi MiHome app
- Xiaomi Switches are used to manually activate and deactivate Xiaomi Gateway Alarm and turn on/off home appliances that are connected with Xiaomi smartplugs
- Xiaomi Switch used as a doorbell
- Commands to the Amazon EchoPlus turn on/off Yeelights
Ideal Future State at my new place: (Note that the new house has LIFX downlights)
- Motion Sensors (doesn't have to be Xiaomi ones) to trigger alarm (on Gateway or Echo Plus?) and push phone notifications. Also turn on LIFX downlights to Red
- View security camera stream on Smart TV/Phone/Tablet. It would be great if the PIR sensors on the Security camera can trigger the Alarm workflow mentioned in the previous point
- Commands to the Amazon Echo Plus turn on/off Yeelights and LIFX Downlights (Already achievable)
I prefer having a single Smarthome ecosystem and I'm leaning towards the Amazon EchoPlus being the hub so that I don't need to have multiple hubs and bridges working to get the results I want to achieve. From the research I have done I have found that it isn't easy to get the Xiaomi sensors talking to the EchoPlus. I tried to play with HomeAssistant by installing hass.io on the Synology NAS but I didn't manage to get a proper working solution for my needs.
I quite like my current simple wireless home security setup of Xiaomi sensors and gateway alarm over the mainstream keypad panel home alarm solutions out there; As I can easily reconfigure the automation rules, move the sensors, receive phone notifications and hide the Activation/Deactivation switch in a more discreet location. But I am willing to buy into another brand of motion sensors and alarm system if it can be hooked up with IFTT and Alexa without needing another hub/bridge. It wouldn't be a major loss for me as I must have spent only a total of $120 on all those Xiaomi stuff and I got good use out of it.
I prefer having a wired security camera system as I don't want to be recharging batteries every few weeks and changing batteries when their charge retention capacity drops significantly.
TLDR : Looking for recommendations for motion sensors, alarm and wired security cameras that work together with Alexa or IFTT