Home Network Setup
I'm looking to start to build my own home network and I want to make sure I start with the right equipment. Below is a wishlist of how the setup would look like once finished (if ever).
- 2-3 Smart speaker(s)
- 1-2 tablets for streaming in bed / monitoring / iot remote control / kitchen help
- Smart power plugs
- Google Chromecast
- Smart lights
- Smart power management / savings (e.g. easily schedule power down for vacation)
- Monitoring of power outages / Internet outages (e.g. for vacations to make sure food didn’t spoil in the fridge)
- Monitoring / tracking of new devices and alerts for threat detection
- 1-2 Smart display / mirror (traffic, commute, weather, news, agenda etc.)
- Mesh network (necessary?)
- Security camera(s)
- Raspberry PI
- Pi-hole (network wide filtering)
- File server
- Streaming (Plex?)
- Backup setup (to complement Dropbox/Google drive?)
- Retro pi
- Accessible from outside networks
- Plex streaming (?)
In order to start I'd like to get a proper wifi setup which will require a proper router and maybe a mesh setup (94sqm 2bed apartment) if necessary.
I assume the best setup would be to have a modem and a router behind it but up until now I only used a modem as the router so I am a bit lost where to start my research.
It would be awesome if you have any recommended product recommendations for any of the above. One of the concerns I have is to start purchasing products which wouldn't integrate properly due incompatibilities between them.
I know it is a vague question, but if anyone attempted something similar could you please share any resources? I am also not sure if I should be looking at Australia specific setups or if it's irrelevant.
Thanks a lot in advance,