[AMA] I'm a Brisbane Town Planner, Offering Free Basic Advice and Development Assessments
Last edited 23/08/2019 - 23:41 by 1 other user
Ask me anything related to development assessment, the planning of a city or transport planning.
- I have a few years years of experience working in the Public, Private and Academic sectors of Town planning, Development Assessment, Liquor Licensing and Transport Planning
What I am offering for free
I'm currently looking for a job back in Town Planning after some time off, and given that I have free time, I am willing to offer free basic advice for development assessments (response to your comment) and if you like to take it further I will take on 2 simple development assessment projects (SEQ) at a time for free such as:
- Newly built houses/apartments
- Subdivisions (splitting a block of land into two)
- Extensions/Renovations to Dwelling House
- Car ports
- Development Assessments triggered by overlays
Note: Preferably Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast
Applications are online and not require printing
In return for helping you out I am looking for your reviews on Linkedin.
You may ask me anything related to town planning.
I will do my best to respond your questions given my experience.
If it is for a development proposal, please provide as much detail as you can. Please post what overlays/codes are triggered and if you are unsure what will be triggered, you may PM your address so I can search it up on the system to find what your proposed development will trigger. I will keep your address, details and proposal confidential.
If you're looking to do some development/renovations, it may trigger the need of a development assessment report to be lodged to Council.
Stages of Development Assessment
- Pre-lodgement meeting (with town planners to discuss what will get through)
- Lodgement to Council (completed town planning report and relevant documents such as architectural site plans are lodged to Council)
- Assessment (Council has a time period to assess the development for approval)
- Decision (Council decides to approve or deny a development proposal)
*Note: Complex applications (such as Impact Assessable) follow additional steps in the process**
My salary in Council as a graduate was $67k per year, next stage up is 74k-82k (2-3 years) and 82k-89k (3 years+), then for the experienced $90k+ (usually 5-6 years+), team leaders or managers are negotiated but roughly $90k-150k
My views on the industry
- Development Assessment is paper work, box ticking and writing reports and bulk of the industry. Public sector is easy and bureaucratic while the Private is more on the project management side of working with the developer to push through developments.
- Strategic Planning is aligning with the strategic goals of the city.
- Various other pathways include calculating Infrastructure charges, neighbourhood planning (consulting with the community), transport planning (maintaining an efficient network for future needs), Development Compliance (issue fines our court notices for in-compliance) and academic (teaching students, writing journals and providing one sentence responses to media as someone from authority)
Developers, Surveyors, Architects and Builders
If you are any of the above and would like to contribute or work with me please feel free to comment or send me a PM.
Mod: Selling/soliciting removed.