Help a Noob with Credit Cards, Points etc.
So I'm in my mid-twenties (married with a wife and kid), and was thinking about starting to get into Credit Cards.
I'm specifically looking for a card that won't cost me a fortune per year, gives a nice points welcome bonus, and has good rates per spend. Lounges and Travel insurance are extras that would suit me also :)
Considering I have family and friends overseas, I do travel often. Obviously, this will start becoming very expensive as I have to bring the family along too :) So points are very important.
I have a couple questions:
1) Most Credit Card seem to have a minimum salary requirement of $30k+, which is more than I am currently earning. Do people not earning enough simply make up information in order to get these cards? And are there any risks involved?
2) Is there any reason why I can't also sign my wife up to a card?
3) One of the cards I was looking at (Qantas Premier Platinum) requires a $1,500 spend per month. I don't believe I spend so much every month. My biggest expense is rent, which is paid via BPay, and as far as I've read, that doesn't count. Any advice or tricks how to each the threshold every month?
4) How many points would a single ticket to the UK cost? And how much $ do you still have to pay?
5) Finally, which card would you recommend?
Thanks very much in Advance!