How to Connect A Water Line to My Poorly Positioned Fridge?

Hi all, just looking for some advice on what is possible before I get a plumber in.

Hoping to connect a water line before we upgrade our fridge, but the fridge cavity is positioned in the middle of the house. There is a walkway separating the kitchen sink area and the fridge, with no continuous cabinetry to run a water line through. See floorplan here (sorry for small size)

I was thinking we might be able to run a water line down from the roof cavity - so I went up to check if there was an existing water pipe. I saw two pipes that run through the roof cavity towards the corner where the hot water tank is. One pipe is metal and is definitely gas because it splits off to the ducted gas heating. The other pipe is yellow so I am not sure if it is another gas or if it could be water. See photo here

What is that yellow pipe? Is there any chance I can get a water line to my fridge (via the roof or any other method)?

Thanks in advance.


  • +1 vote

    Partially remove cabinetry to access pipe. They'll have to add a branch to your sink mains and route it to the ground.

    Plumber will need to trench floor to fridge and route pipe into dry wall and place a terminal there.

    Tip - don't place the water outlet directly behind fridge. Place it beside so you have access to shut off the water, and the fridge won't sit out from the wall as much.

    You could also route through the ceiling but I'm very much against water being above.

    (Yellow pipe is likely hot water. It's insulated pipe.)

    • +1 vote

      Thanks for your advice.

      When you say "trench floor" does that mean they would have to rip up the kitchen floor tiles and then put them back in?

      Do you have a rough idea of how much it would cost? I assume going through the floor would make it a lot more expensive.

      • -2 votes

        Assuming the plumber doesn't make a mess of your floor and has done this before, it is probably a couple of full days of work and a tiler for a day.

        Probably $1.5k. More if your tiles are particularly expensive. More if a lot of tiles around the trench breaks. More if your cabinetry is difficult to work around.

        It will be worth your while to get someone experienced.


          Thanks, yeah I did think the expenses would add up with this pathway, probably making the cost/benefit not worth it for us.

        • -1 vote

          A couple of full days work for a plumber and a day for a tiler and all that for $1.5k ? In which country, as you if are referring to Australia it would have been in the 1960's. A plumber these days could easily charge the whole of your estimate just for 2-3 hours of work. You clearly have no idea.


            @websterp: Yes, plumbers range from $50-$100 call out fee, then $90-$120 per hour plus materials.


          more and more and more if the house is quite old and you cannot find identical tile and don't want your kitchen to look like lego board

  • +3 votes

    just look at a non-plumed fridge instead, just got hte LG one and love it. (i've had a plumbed fridge before too)


      Thanks, which LG model do you have?


        I've got a non-plumbed Samsung one that's got a 2L water container. To be honest, I find it gets a little annoying to have to refill that thing every couple of days - especially when I'm half way filling a bottle and it runs out. But everyone's got different preferences so just take that into consideration when making your decision.


        We got the GS-L668PNL model

        i dont use the water disp much at all, mainly ice. More sense to use filled water bottles in the fridge as less washing up needed. Makes abit noise when the internal refilling happens but overall very happy with it.


          Thanks - my main reason is for ice too.

          But your model is too big for my area, so I will need to have a look at other models (and then consider if the dispenser takes up too much fridge space)

  • +2 votes

    I'm pretty sure that yellow pipe is gas. I've got the same in my new build. Crimp fittings:

    If it's a single level home, it shouldn't be too hard for a plumber to run a new plastic water pipe in the roof.


      It is single level, but if there's no existing water pipe, where would they run it from? They would have to access something ground level and run it up to the roof?


    I know everyone has their own preferences, but in our case, even though we have a plumbed recess, we specifically sought a fridge that didn't have a water dispenser/ice maker feature. While I agree that they're cool and have had one before in a different country and different century, we've decided that the reduced fridge space and added complexity and potential for issues down the line made them not worth the trouble.

    Also in our case, we boil our water before using using it for drinking so a water dispenser would be a completely moot point as well.

    The biggest pro I can think of is the space that the device would be taking up in the fridge would be open for other things.


      Thanks for your input. Fridge capacity is definitely a big factor for us, so we will have to consider that.

  • +2 votes

    Run the pipe from the laundry, up through the wall, across the hall way roof space, and then down behind the fridge, rather than digging up the tiles on the floor. The piping is cheap compared to excavations on the floor.

    And as Apu says the yellow pipe is GAS, only use if you want fizzy water! - I'm joking on the bubbly, don't take it seriously.


      Hmm there’s no pipes under the laundry sink, the taps come straight out from the wall. Is this method still doable?


        Of course, but depends on who is going to do it, you, handyman or a plumber.

        If the laundry tap pipes aren’t accessible, there are other starting points like under the kitchen taps or bathroom hand basin.

        The main point is using the roof as the way across far cheaper and easier than digging up a floor.

        Plus having a plumber as kiwimex below says means that the copper pipe in the roof may also be a source of connection so even easier

  • +1 vote

    Get the plumber to run it in ceiling and then into back of pantry. This way you can access valve when something leaks. The power point is better in adjoining cabinet as well. Can remove some of the hall gyprock to run pipe down stud wall, easily patched.
    The yellow pipe is gas.

  • +3 votes

    STOP…….! Yellow pipe is Gas.

    The 20mm copper line there is most likely water. It is a 1-2hr job to connect to the water supply in the ceiling and run down the wall cavity, I do the installs all the time. You are looking at $200-$300 to complete the works here in Brisbane.

    For heavens sake call a bloody plumber. Don't stuff around getting advice from people not in the trade.

    • +1 vote

      Thanks, will definitely be calling a plumber, was just after some general advice first so I know what to ask for.

      I went to double-check and unfortunately that metal pipe goes into the ducted heating so must be gas too.

      I did see a water line in the roof going to and from the old solar hot water panel (no longer in use) - so I will see if the plumber can use that. If not, will see if they can start from the laundry/bathroom and up to the roof.


    Assuming you are on a slab, run it through the ceiling. Easy, especially if the plumber uses poly lines.