Posting for a friend.
- Friend has a hole in the roof
- Her boyfriend asks her to call a plumber to fix it as it has been raining a lot recently
- Calls 24 hour plumbing service
- The quote her $800 on the spot and 'fix' the job
- Took no more than an hour in total
- The work looks shoddy - friend feels like she might be getting scammed/ripped off
- She asks for an itemised invoice of the work done before she pays
- They say they will send her one later
- she says she won't pay until she gets a proper invoice
- they wait outside her house, call their manager, and the manager sends through an invoice
- Invoice shows no detail, just the total amount owing.
- She says she wants to wait for her boyfriend to come home first to pay
- they send her a text message asking her to 'send it back' as agreement that she will pay.
Take a look at the photos of the work done. I dont know anything about plumbing or whatnot, but this does not look like an $800 job.
She hasnt paid yet and is unsure what to do. I told her to hold off for the moment. This has all happened this morning.
Would love to get ozbargainers thoughts on this.
Further Edit (regarding when it was done)
Just to add -
- contacted plumber on Saturday when it was raining heavily.
- chose company because needed emergency plumping for that day or sooner after.
- ended up booking for Monday because of the Call-Out fee on Sundays which would also increase the price.
- They cancelled on Monday because of circumstances 'out of their control', and rescheduled to Tuesday morning.
- no emergency service was actually provided, and the job was completed 3 days after the initial call.