On OzBargain we are programmatically making distinguishing between 3 types of links our users might post in the posts and in the comments.
|Link||In Deal Link||In Post Content (Deal or Forum)||In Comments|
|Affiliate Links||Not allowed||Not allowed||Not allowed|
|Referral Links||Not allowed||Not allowed1)||Not allowed|
What are the differences between referral and affiliate links? In short, this is our definition on OzBargain:Referral links pay referrers site-credit. Affiliate links pay affiliates real money.
- Pays site-credit that cannot be redeemed as real currency to be paid into referrer's bank or PayPal account.
- Don't usually require referrers to have a website or run a business.
- Usually encourage the referrers to share the link via email or social media.
- Pays the affiliates real currency, as a form of commission.
- Usually from affiliate networks (DGM, Commission Junction, LinkShare, etc) given to their affiliates, who run websites or marketing related business. Sometimes directly from merchants.
- There are usually rules affiliates need to abide in terms of where they can place the affiliate links, sometimes differ on merchant by merchant level.
- Referral links via their Refer a Friend program are supported in the OzBargain referral system.
- Affiliate links via affiliate networks (such as DGM) are not allowed/supported.