- I have been with my girlfriend for 2 years and we are both in out late twenties.
- She does not currently have any savings or assets as she is a poor student but she contributes financially where she can and is actively looking for work.
- We currently live together and pay rent
- I am currently working full time and own my house(which is solely in my name) which is currently being tenanted out, but we would like to move into it together within the next 6 months
- There is a small mortgage on the house but majority of it has been paid off by myself - through scrimping, saving and hard work
- We do plan on getting married and having children eventually down the track
- She is a beautiful humble woman and not some gold digging money lover
What are the implications if we were to break up our relationship or things didn't work out down the track?
Can she potentially take half of the house even if we aren't married?
The reason I ask is because I have worked hard for everything and although I trust her and love her, I've heard horror stories of guys losing the lot because of bad relationships and poor financial/legal advice. Even as per the last point, people can change over time and I don't want to get screwed over. I wouldn't bother asking but she is not bringing anything to the table, financially speaking, so I guess I need some re-assurance.