In 2015, we made a post called Acting Respectfully. We want to continue the points in that post but further expand:
- We encourage transparent and open debate especially when determining whether a post is a good deal or not. Most of the comments are fine but there are a small % of comments which are not. Users should feel comfortable with participating on OzBargain without feeling attacked.
- Got a site question? Don't guess an answer. Ask us! —- Wonder why x store is not banned? Don't make up a conspiracy theory. Ask us! Most of the answers you are looking for are in the help, located at the bottom of each page. Contact us via -> 1
- Members not using OzBargain features in the intended way (e.g. not searching/searching/missed warning & posting duplicates, negative voting incorrectly, not reporting but commenting in deal, RRP policing, etc..)
Actions by Moderators
- If we spot an unnecessarily angry or aggressive comment, we will call it out in a comment. If the comments continue, we will continue to call it out and encourage a Talk with a Moderator coversation. I'll make it simple. If you continually contribute negatively to this community, you won't be welcome.
- If we spot a comment that should be a report (e.g. fix the title), we will call it out in a comment reminding users to use report.
- More reminders about how things work in the forums and newsletters.
- Soliciting feedback from users who have questions but didn't know where to ask.
- Soliciting feedback from users who have posted a duplicate deal to determine why.
- Remind users that is up to the community to decide if a deal is good or not; good by voting +, not good by not voting, and major issues/cheaper elsewhere by voting -.
Actions by Users
- Be respectful in conversations. Discussion is fine but attacking others is not.
- Spot an aggressive or unnecessarily angry comment? Report it by hitting the report link.
- Got a question? Ask us!
How the Moderation Crew deals with issues/reports
- If it's a simple issue, a moderator can resolve the issue based on the deal posting guidelines or the commenting guidelines.
- For more complicated issues, the moderators discuss the issue in our Slack chat room which usually consists of at least 3 or 4 people but during business hours up to 7.
- Our system records notes and history for stores and users. We also have an internal points system so that we apply penalties consistently and in the case of repeat offenders (e.g. multiple sockpuppeting), the system will know how long to ban the user or store. We take all of this into account when coming up with a decision. Where we don't have a guideline or need to improve a guidelines, we solicit feedback from the community and add/remove/change the guidelines.
- That's the whole process. Just thinking of some of the odd narratives people have come up with… No special treatment for any users/stores. No payments, no sponsors, no kickbacks, no keeping deals up for "hits", no revoking votes to please stores, no randomly throwing bad deals into the forums or any other alternative facts.
Site Feedback Have site issue, question, feedback, bug, suggestions etc? Ask it here.
Talk with a Moderator Got an issue that you would like to discuss privately with moderators? Ask it here.
Help Got a simple question that you think we may have answered already? Check the help or the FAQ
Report Link Spot a comment or deal that has an issue? Hit the report link located underneath each post or comment
Note: No need to name users in this thread, just hit report link on comment.