eBay Refusing to Honour AUS Gift Vouchers for Item Purchased from Overseas
eBay is (so far) refusing to honour eBay Au gift vouchers for the purchase of products on ebay.com.au from overseas. It's been esclalted a second time now and I'm hoping to hear back on Monday or Tuesday with a more positive answer.
I found some enterprise SSDs that I wanted to buy for my home lab. They were listed on eBay Australia website by selecting the show options from Worldwide.
I made an offer (USD$1200) and the seller accepted it. I bought some discounted ebay vouchers (AUD$1600) to cover the cost and tried to pay for the items but it wouldn't work.
When trying to add the gift cards, I get an error that they're not available for use in my region. I contacted eBay Plus support and the support officer could see my point that I hadn't breached the terms and conditions of the gift cards. That has been escalated and I have submitted my argument for my case. After escalation to a support manager, they again noted that they understood my claim and could see there doesn't seem to be a case for eBay to prevent me from using them the gift vouchers. They have again escalated the case and I'm waiting to hear back.
My arguments are:
1. eBay gift cards terms haven't be breached
The only applicable eBay gift card terms and conditions that would appear to be being contested by eBay are:
1. You must have an eBay account registered in Australia and an Australian shipping address to redeem the Gift Card.
4. The Gift Card may only be used for purchases on ebay.com.au where the seller accepts PayPal or credit/ debit card.
Gift card terms and conditions URL
My responses to these terms and conditions are:
Redemption Term 1.
- I do have an account registered in Australia and I do have an Australian shipping address in my account.
- I am trying to ship the item overseas but that doesn't breach the first term, I still have an Australian shipping address.
Redemption Term 4
- The item is available on the ebay.com.au website.
- I can open ebay.com.au in my browser, search for the term "abcdwxyz" and select item location "Worldwide".
- I am still on the ebay.com.au website and nothing tells me that I can't use eBay Au gift vouchers.
- The seller also accepts PayPal or credit/ debit card.
I sent screen shots proving my Australian account and address.
I sent screen shots proving the item is available on ebay.com.au website.
2. The item listing doesn't exclude gift cards.
Nothing in the item listing notifies me that I cannot use eBay Au gift cards.
3. The item specifically says it allows gift cards.
When I click on Contact Seller in the item listing and select Payment options as the topic, it specifically says it allows eBay gift cards.
eBay support staff have advised me this is up to the seller to dictate and tried to put the resonsibilty on them. I said that's rubbish and eBay coyld easily notify me that Au gift cards aren't accepted on all listings that don't fit their criteria.
It seems the shipping address I'm sending the items to is the sticking point for the eBay system though. If I change my shipping address for the purchase to Australia, I can apply the gift cards. I'm sticking to my guns though and will see what the outcome is.
Anyone else have any experience contesting gift voucher eBay terms and conditions?