Bought a New Car at a 2019 Price, but Am Getting a 2018 Built Car

EDIT: After some back and forth between the dealership and myself; I was able to choose to wait the 2-3 months and get the car I actually paid for. This was definitely a lesson, but I'm grateful for your input and advice!

I recently signed a contract for a 2019 complaint car + Model year 2019 last week Saturday (2nd/02). I got a call last week Friday (8th) letting me know that the colour of the car I wanted had to be a factory order, with a waiting time of 2-3months, as the dealer had no stock. The salesman said that there was another car that he could pull within a week, in a different colour which I agreed to.

Today, the salesman said that the car will be ready tomorrow. I asked for the REJO so that I could go ahead and input it in for insurance; when I did, I realised that the insurance website returned a 2018 compliant version instead of a 2019. This means that I was financed, quoted and signed for a 2019 built car, and am getting a 2018 built car instead. I put down a holding deposit, and signed the contract.

Am I within legal reason to cancel the contract, or amend the pricing?

If I had known that it was a 2018 model, I would have asked for a lower price and or denied the transaction all together.

For reference; The price for the car brand new (2019 compliance + 2019 MY) was 26,245 // + 150 for floor mats + 80 for dash mat - I managed to bring it down to 24,500 with a 1,300 trade in.

After doing some googling, I found that a late 2018 compliant MY19 car goes for around 25,667, plus the 230 for floor / dash mats brings it to 25,897 (or 24597 after trade)

Thats a difference of $97 for a year old car, and that's without negotiating on the older car!

What are my options here?

TIA!

Comments

  • +4 votes

    It's worth a lot more than a $97 difference. Ask for $2k back at least.

  • +4 votes

    Well if you want a MY19 built in 2019, then you are going to have to wait.

    There will be plenty of MY19 (i.e cars that have 2019 specifications) built in 2018.

    The most important thing is that BOTH cars will be exactly the same (as its specified MY19) other than build date.

    Now, the question is, are you planning to sell this car within 5 years? if yes, they getting a 2019 build may be slightly more better at point of resale - however if you are planning to keep this car for a while, it makes almost negligible difference when it comes to sale.

    •  

      Hi mate,

      Thanks for that. But my concern is the fact that I paid for a brand new 2019 car, but instead I am receiving a car from last year September for the same price. If you google the make / model you will indeed find 2019 built cars.

      •  

        You said you "agreed" to the dealers offer of another car, in a different color. Before you accept anything, read the contract and ask questions / clarify that you know everything before accepting.

        Anyway, practically, 2019 built cars are slowly making its way to Australia now. Lets say a car is made in Japan, built on 1 January 2019 … the ship takes a few weeks from Japan to get to Australia, by the time it is sorted / processed at the arrivals dock, delivered to the dealer and so on, expect 2019 built cars to be delivered at the earliest late Feb / early March.

  •  

    Have you raised this with the dealer? What did they say if you did?

    •  

      Yep, called the dealer.

      Manager was not in, so have to wait until tomorrow to hopefully get a resolution.

      • +11 votes

        Manager is never in when you're complaining.

        Manager is always in to give a special price if you're buying.

      •  

        Maybe we should wait until this is done and then plan the next step.

        But I do agree, it doesn't sound right especially when there is a contract.

  • -1 vote

    Am I within legal reason to cancel the contract, or amend the pricing?

    No, because:

    I got a call last week Friday (8th) letting me know that the car I wanted was 2-3months away, as the dealer had no stock. The salesman said that there was another car that he could pull within a week which I agreed to.

    Your option here is to wait for the 2019 compliant car. Cars take a while to go through the pipeline.

    But you can certainly use this point to negotiate with the dealer. They probably would want to get the balance of the purchase price earlier too rather than waiting 2-3 months for it.

    • +1 vote

      Hi

      Sorry it's a bit unclear here. The reason why I would have had to wait was because the colour I wanted the 2019 car in was not in stock. The salesman offered a substitute colour instead - which could be delivered in 1 week. In my position, it would be fair to assume that the replacement car is also 2019, just in another colour.

      •  

        Right - no I got that, I'm not saying that you agreeing to take the car that's ready now is binding. But your option is to just wait longer for the 2019-compliant car instead, because you still have a contract for that car.

  •  

    You should dial the number and tell those cheeky salesmen to stop the trade as you are not interested. You have to voice your rights.. its very true that if it was 2018 model then you cud have got even better price… so either they give you some refund to your satisfaction or you should have enough rights to cancel the transaction .. in the end … Fair Traiding - the name you should use during all kind of valid disputes..

  •  

    What did he say about the car he could pull without waiting 2-3 months? There must be a difference to what you're wanting and you must've asked, no?

    • +1 vote

      The reason why I would have had to wait was because the colour I wanted was not in stock; and so it had to be a 'factory order'. So the salesman said that was another car in stock, but a different colour. It was fair to assume that both cars were 2019, just different colours

      •  

        Well, that's all there is to it. When you call manager tomorrow, confirm it's a 2019 vehicle. If not, tell him you will wait for a 2019 one and don't want the Sept 2018 one being offered. What's difficult?

        •  

          That's exactly what I'm going to do. I did not realise it was a 2018 build until today. Just wanted others opinions, and if what I am planning is a justified dispute.

          Thanks

      •  

        Yeah in that case they are misleading you. You were only expecting different colour not different model altogether

  • +3 votes

    Bying a new car bave so many similarities with masochism. You are paying a premium for the pleasure a beign ripped off by a dealer. They are specialists in getting the most out of your pocket for the smallest return.

    Now on the topic - dealer is very likely to be making up a story here. Trying to sell you a 2018 plate vehicle that is rusting in the warehouse PLUS ripping you off with its price. Enjoy:)

    •  

      I decided to buy new car after racking up 200k kms on my old one. Did not expect it to do down like this. Hopefully a resolution can be found. Thanks for your thoughts

  • +1 vote

    we are roughly 43 days into the year, how long do you think it takes for a car to go from the factory to the car yard (I don't actually know either but I reckon the 2019 cars would only just be reaching the yards now) ? I don't know how the factories work but they might not have even made any Australian models yet (there is small differences in the different country versions of most cars ).

    The dealer should also know this and should have sold you 2018 car and explained all this to you. You should definately be asking for a substantial discount of a lot more than $97

  •  

    Am I within legal reason to cancel the contract, or amend the pricing?

    Ummm

    The salesman said that there was another car that he could pull within a week which I agreed to.

    Well you are getting what you agreed to

  • +1 vote

    Read the fine print on the rear of the contract paper you signed.

    From memory , in WA there is a few? clauses that may help, it may be the same where you are.

    Be wary of any clause that mentions price increases that may happen if you wait.

    Please read the fine print now and see what is there.

    Hopefully you can get it sorted.

  • Top