NSW car rego lapse
Last edited 20/09/2019 - 13:31
Hello fellow savings-savvy OzBargainers, I want your thoughtful advice.
I have a car and a motorcycle which are both nearly 3 months out of rego. I got my driving license suspended in July for speeding (mea culpa… this mistake has massively ruined my life) and it will be suspended until mid-January 2020.
One uncertainty is that I have a court date in mid-November to try to get my licence back by appeal in the District Court. I may be successful, I may be unsuccessful. I am hoping for the former, but I've seen the duty barrister and it's not looking good.
My dilemma is that I'm trying to weigh up the options:
[Option 1]: Pay the rego renewal now, pay for green slip. But then I will only get 9 months out of this (at most). If I don't get my licence back, I won't use it until mid-January 2020 and I will only get 6 months out of this.
[Option 2]: Let the rego lapse. Then pay for new rego, new green slip, AND new plates AND blue slip. I get a full year's use out of this.
[Option 3]: is there some sort of other loophole where I can avoid paying rego/fees when I already know I'm not allowed to use the car? I just feel weird paying for something I know I can't use.
The motorcycle rego will be 3m out of rego (and automatically cancelled) on 27 September.
The car rego will be be 3m out of rego (and automatically cancelled) on 11 December.
People who are financially smarter than me — please calculate and think about it - what should I do?
EDIT 1/2: I'm BFFs with my car mechanic. Sometimes I even just go in to bring food and hang out and talk about cars, which is a passion of mine. He would definitely pass my blue slips — and the cars are in perfect shape, to be fair.
EDIT 2/2: I have made the spreadsheet as advised. The way to evaluate the answer is to choose the lowest price per day, right? The results are:
Price/day if lucky in court: $2.00 for 227 days
Price/day at worst case scenario: $2.74 for 165 days
Price/day if wait: $1.48 for 365 days
Price/day if lucky in court: $3.91 for 227 days
Price/day at worst case scenario: $5.38 for 165 days
Price/day if wait: $2.91 for 365 days