PayPal Permanently Limited Account after The UK Gift Cards *a cautionary tale*
Last edited 24/09/2019 - 23:43
- I've had my personal paypal account for 6 years (got banned 4 days after exactly 6 years)
- I have used it extensively for ebay and other things amounting in over 70 - 80k in fee'd transactions
2.5. preceeding the weekend, i'd sent 950 as F&F to buy ebay GC and 875 as G&S for some stuff.
- Over the weekend, when the whole ebay GC thing was going on, i bought a sizeable amount using my secondary paypal account (which i made the retarded move of linking to the same phone number and credit card).
- Co-incidentally I sold about $4000+ in 2 items on ebay.
- Not wanting to keep a massive balance in my account, i promptly withdrew it after assigning the shipping numbers (can pre-assign by buying the labels online)… anywho, i purposefully withdrew it in 2 lots of 2k as to not trigger the withdrawal limiter thing.
- Some mystical god was looking out for me, as i usually let the balane sit for a few days, had i left it in the account for 4 hrs more, i would have had to wait 6 months to get those funds.
- 4 hrs later, i get an email on both paypal accounts saying they have detected 'high risk behaviour' and my paypal has been limited until i provide ID documents
8, I provide passport, utility bill, bank statement.
- 1 day later, i get the notice saying it's permanently limited and at this point i was shit scared, as the telephone agent supervisor said any pending withdrawals would bounce.
- yesterday, funds cleared, i called my bank and told them to block any paypal withdrawals and only allow credit transactions.
I never really appreciated how debilitatign it is without a paypal account. I can't buy on ebay anymore, as my credit card is linked to my paypal. Ebay Aus still use paypal as their payment processor and as such even when i checkout with the option 'pay with credit/debit card' i gets auto declined due to it being linked to my paypal.
At this point, i really got pissed, as i'm fine with not being able to use paypal, but ebay as well.. So being the pedantic person i am, i read through the whole ebay and paypal user agreement, both fair use policies to determine if i breached any rules. I did not. Only thing i could think of was the anti-money laundering and counter terrirsom financing law, which i guess makes sense when someone buys $6k in ebay gift cards.
I just want to figure out what my options are
——> I've already contacted paypal 'executive escalations' who are suposed to be their legal team about either unlimiting the account or deleting all my personal info (as they have a lot of it which is not comfortable when you can't remove it for quote the call centre person 'indefinitate period of time'.
———>I've also thought about contacting the AFCA, but i don't know what they could do to help.
——-> Also thought about getting my bank to reissue me my credit card, so it has a new number and i can still use it on ebay which is an option
I'd really appreciate some thoughts.
EDIT: I should also mention, about $1500 of the ebay GC's got auto refunded by paypal (luckily i paid with credit card, or that would've been another mess).