Car is a write-off. Should I negotiate with the insurance company for a higher pay out?
Last edited 18/10/2019 - 21:45
I was T-boned by a car about 3 weeks ago. Being the third party, I'm entitled to a pay out for my damaged (but still derivable) vehicle.
I was offered an amount today for the payout; however, I believe they have low balled me by about $1,000 dollars and I have now asked to talk to the evaluator on Monday.
What course of action should I take? Is it normal to negotiate on payout?
If this has been posted before please let me know!
Further: If I take the payout they will let me keep the car, and I can still legally drive it despite the 'write off' status.
Update/conclusion: It appears that it is very possible to negotiate and it often results in an increased payout but be prepared to have a delay in pay out. Further, there are some rather helpful Ozbargainers who are happy to help with a realistic evaluation.