I thought I was being careful, but sadly not careful enough to account for the failures in lose implementation of JB Hifi's gift card policies.
- Had 3 x $500 gift cards from JB Hifi, from the promo in Dec last year
- Listed it here for a couple of weeks, no takers.
- So then I listed it on Gumtree.
- "James" contacts me, from ACT.
- Asks me "Do you have proof of balance picture? or receipts?"
- Not knowing any better, and assuming that a hidden "PIN" code is required to actually redeem these cards.
- I provided the card numbers, to allow him to check the balance on the cards.
- James says he'll pay at the end of the day.
- I get messaged here on Ozbargain, snowymatthew, so I decide to allow them to pay instead.
- I receive payment, via PayId.
- I send copies of the unscratched cards, and then again with the card numbers and PIN codes revealed.
- Following day, snowymatthew tells me there's issues with the card.
- Since the PIN codes are all revealed now, I confirm the balance on the cards.
- Discover they've been redeemed in ACT.
- Blah blah … I'm %^&*
- Returned the money back to snowymatthew.
So, it looks like James has been able to convince someone at JB HiFi to redeem the cards, with the PIN codes, and without the physical cards. I checked the terms and conditions: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/pages/how-do-i-use-a-gift-card-to-.... "Redeeming in-store at JB Hi-Fi … The actual gift card MUST be presented.". From responses from various stores, staff are not "meant to" accept anything by the physical cards … there lies the issue.
The presence of the PIN code in this instance gives a false sense of security.
Even retracing all the steps taken, I don't think I could have foreseen this - other than "don't use Gumtree". So, I guess this is a warning to others, that the card numbers only are enough to redeem a gift card. Meaning there's no real way for a buyer to validate available credit, or for sellers to have any form of security over the gift cards. This to me, is easier than counterfeiting money and JB accepting it, at another customer's expense.
Expensive lesson, and usually careful with these things. But, aw well, not expecting such a positive outcome. If anything, it just ruined my day.
- Left my details with the store to follow up
- Filed a report with ACSC
- Emailed JB Hifi, asking how and why cards can be redeemed by the card number only, without the physical card which is contrary to their terms.
- Contacted Gumtree seeking assistance.
- I asked James to pay, as agreed and I would cease the police report.
So yeah, great first day back at work. -_-" And now have to deal with the missus.
And not that it means much, but this is the lovely guy that benefited from this all. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-seller/1170622367193
I really didn't like the idea of having $1.5K in gift cards lying around, just didn't feel secure. And it really had to happen.
Update: So, it would seem kinda useless at this point. But because of the way that I shared the photo with James, it shows an account of his.
(Mod: removed personal information - please see commenting guideline)
* By RNDM on 07/01/2020 - 14:35
* By snowymatthew on 08/01/2020 - 16:47
* By RNDM on 14/01/2020 - 13:30
* By RNDM latest