Whether to Return MacBook Pro 16, Respective to The Recent News of Transition to ARM

Hi People,

I recently bought an high spec Macbook pro 16. It is still under Apple return period(14 days). I am loving this beast. But going through yesterday's Apple announcement of transition to Mac, I am little bit confused to keep it or return as Apple abruptly stops HW and SW support for older gen Macs.

Thinking of resale value also as it is going to take a dip as no one will prefer a outdated hw.

Need all your suggestions, opinions and advice to decide.

If you are in favour of returning the laptop then please share which laptop would be the best substitute of this beast.


Thank you all for ur suggestions and insights.
I have decided to keep it


  • Hardware will always go obsolete. It is a matter of whether software will no longer support the hardware. I know 2014 MacBook Air is still getting software updates I'd say Apple wouldn't be alienating a good deal of their customers. Your choice.

    • Thanks mate…lets c how it goes. I don't want be a disgruntled customer of Apple after paying a premium on MBP16. Most important is the SW support for intel powered Macs…definitely it is going to take a back seat once ARM powered MACs come in…

  • ARM macs are 2 years away
    they are going to include emulation for non ARM software
    and it will be the small 13inch models that are ARM first

  • The new os announced today is supported on 2013 macs. Think about that. Do you think you will still be using the MBP in 2027? I don’t think you should return what is an outstanding machine for the undefined future prospect of a new shiny.

  • “ Apple plans to ship the first Mac with Apple silicon by the end of the year and complete the transition in about two years. Apple will continue to support and release new versions of macOS for Intel-based Macs for years to come, and has exciting new Intel-based Macs in development. ”


    • By going over their record of transition from Power PC to intel, which took almost 5.5 years, m a little bit sceptic over this Intel to ARM transition

  • I remember the transition from PPC to Intel. It took a while and in the meantime we had Rosetta. It sucked. And then when Apple completely disbanded PPC it was hard to do anything else with it as software updates disappeared.

    I was about to buy a new Mac on the weekend. I might hold off for a bit now to see what the lay of the land is at Christmas.

  • +11 votes

    No way! Wait till the bugs are ironed out with ARM. Enjoy your MBP 16 for the meantime.

    • What about resale value?

      • +20 votes

        If you're only worried about resale value, you're doing it wrong.

        • Exactly. No matter what beast of a machine you buy today, it will be obsolete in a year's time, if not earlier.

          • @DoctorCalculon: No it wont. No PC/Mac goes "obsolete in a year's time". Their lifespans have been increasing because the hardware/speed gains these days are insignificant (compared to the 90's/00's).
            Corporate IT systems used to run on a 18-24 upgrade cycle, now its 4-5 years.

  • I just received my 5600m unit yesterday. Its phenomenal what it can do in my FCPX work. Been editing RED 5k footage on the fly pretty much with background render and original footage. (Not proxy) I can see it being a beast for years to come. Just commit. Get it done. And sell it later.
    I’m not sure if I got lucky. But I’m running this machine on a external monitor 2k and not experiencing any heat issues. Working with red footage in seeing max temps of 90 (mostly 75-80) and it ideal around 45-50)

    Actually loading up big sur right now to have a play.

  • Silicon chips would come along iPad apps supports too without any work from developers end. So if you can hold on.

  • Take a look at Mac's transition from PowerPC to Intel

    • First Intel product: January 2006
    • End of OS & hardware support for PowerPC: July/August 2011

    So that's around 5.5 years. However it might be different for Apple's transition from Intel to ARM, but once the first gen of ARM Mac's are out, Intel Mac's would be second class citizens from developers' point of view.

    • Intel Mac's would be second class citizens from developers' point of view

      And resale value too. That's something to keep in mind.

    • Don’t forget Apple bought it out an incredibly high end Intel based Mac Pro and announced that there will be new Intel Macs this year. Updates will be there for a long time.


    Think of it like a car, you just bought a mercedes

    • Am I going to bleed in the long run?

      • +1 vote

        We don't know. If you really don't want the MBP (even though you said you are "loving it" in the OP), return it. None of us are going to guarantee you 100% resale value when you decide to sell it in two years time.

        It's a computer - not a high yield investment BMW.

      • Once Apple launch their 16" ARM64 MBP, you should expect your machine's resale value to plummet.
        If all you care about is resale value, then you should return the machine immediately, and go back to using a second hand 2015 MacBook Pro. ;)

  • I also have a 16 inch MBP, I think it's the best model to buy based on my upgrade cycle. This model will take me up to when the full line-up has transitioned and any teething problems ironed out. I think you should keep it if you need the power.

    • -2 votes

      What abt resale value though..

      • I'm not aware another model of laptop that will hold value better than MBPs. I don't know what the impact on resale values were with the transition from PPC, logically it should be better this transition since worst case the MBP will still support Bootcamp and Windows.

        If you're worried about resale, you should buy second hand since a lot of the depreciation would have been borne by the original buyer.

  • What would you use for the next year or two while you wait?

    • Have included a substitute laptop recommendation for my MBP 16 in the thread..any thing in ur mind…

      • What will you spend on an alternative? How much will it depreciate until the new processors are ready. Would you consider gen1 of the new devices or need to wait and see what goes wrong?
        Do you have software that might not run on the new architecture as well as on Intel - are you happy to wait for new versions of that to be released too?
        Is the 16in mbp just for coolness, or do you need a big, top end system?
        If you need it, rather than just desire it, you should probably keep it.

        FWIW, my 2012 mbp runs fine. My g4 Macs ran fine for years, and retained a fair bit of value. People who buy Macs often do so because they don't want to have to care about things like processor instruction sets.

        But if you are having second thoughts about a costly system you bought with hesitation, maybe send it back.

        • I am loving every bit of my Mac. This is my first apple product. My main concern is whether I ll repent 1yr/2yr down the line if Apple is going to stop support for SW as ARM will be the first choice…

      • Since you like ARM, get ahead of the pack and get anything with MediaTek inside <tm>

  • Apple also said they still have few Intel based macs in the pipeline. So its not happening so abruptly. Also they confirmed the full support for Intel based systems in the years to come so I would not worry too much about it.

  • unlikely to lose support for the current model anytime soon.
    the thing I'd be thinking about more is whether the ARM models will be a massive step up, that you'll be wanting to upgrade
    if they have more power, and the battery is like 20 hours or something, itd be hard to pass them up

    • This, Apple's support for previous versions of hardware is miles ahead of any other company. Most notably in phones though.

      It really depends on how the new devices take off. There'll likely be teething issues and will take a while for it to go mainstream.

  • I would be uncomfortable buying a new Mac now knowing that in 2 years time the developers and Apple will no longer be focusing on the Intel systems. The resale values will definitely tank when Apple starts introducing ARM based Macs.

    That being said there is not much you can do if you need to use the mac now and a windows alternative won't work. Maybe a 2nd hand Mac?

  • these comments making me re-think if I should return my i5 new MBA or not

  • I am typing this on a late 2011 MacBook Pro.

    I think you are going to be fine.

  • Keep it

  • So if you look at it from a factual point of view:

    • Apple Silicon based Notebook/Desktop by year end.
    • Mac OS Big Sur will come in both Intel and Apple Silicon Flavours
    • Apple has said there are still Intel products in the pipeline
    • On average each laptop/desktop would have 4-5 yrs of support from their introduction before it's marked as a vintage
    • Major players like Adobe, Microsoft have probably have had a 6 month+ head start with transition, largely for their demo yesterday as well. Other large players and medium vendors will now have the next 6-12 months to also make Apple Silicon flavours of their apps.
    • You are looking at minimum for a year until someone would start really buying and using this, even then they would be cautious, it would probably be difficult to see how fast the uptake would be.
    • You are likely to get at least 3-5 yrs value out of the current one, and it would probably still support bootccamp so it's probably not going to be entirely a paper weight either.

    I'm in the process of looking at upgrading to a 16" as well, so am also going through the thought process.

    • Other large players and medium vendors will now have the next 6-12 months to also make Apple Silicon flavours of their apps.

      The Intel builds will run fine on Apple Silicon via Rosetta 2.

      Going the other way not so simple, the Intel architecture will be abandoned sooner than you think.

    • return it
    • F5 refurbish page on Apple
    • buy back
    • profit
  • I would probably return it.

  • Your MAC will be supported for years to come and is a good quality machine. Keep it.

    In the recent announcement Apple steered away from comparing performance vs Intel - which means at this stage they are likely not better than intel for high end and their built in GPU was compared to Intel's onboard GPU and not current AMD mobile offerings. Both aspects you currently have and will harness in this machine.

    The other aspect is this will essentially be the unification of iOS and MAC OS, giving greater flow between devices for those caught up in the Apple eco system - but I suspect for the immediate future will lean against mobile-level capability and performance.

    Apple have effectively always be great at controlling both their software and hardware and this move is a great example of them doubling down on this position - whether or not emulated software will be worth buying a $3500 Mac in the future, only time will tell.

    Developing for both platforms in the future will be more difficult as a result of this change - and I think in the future the choice of MAC or PC will be dictated by third party software choice. For Apple this could put them into the realm of "MAC OS" exclusives.

  • It may well be the last MBP generation that can take Windows so there's a market for that. Just use it and enjoy it.

  • @Apra, well I sure hope you returned it.