What Is This Scamming Scheme on Gumtree/Facebook

I encounterred a few instances when selling on Gumtree and Facebook.
The buyer just said they need the item today without asking any questions. But they refuse to pick up, refuse receiving by post office, refuse to pay online. They only want to pay cash and request me to deliver it personally. Are they up to bodily harm for something less than $100?
I don't want to point fingers but from the profiles they are all from one specific ethnic group.

Related Stores

Gumtree
Gumtree

Comments

  • When you have gone out of your way to someone else's house you are in a lesser bargaining position. Not a scam, but when you turn up, they will offer less than was agreed with the expectation you may agree on account of having made the round trip.

  • This why normal people use eBay

  • As a seller, I think you can dictate the terms. Maybe best meeting near police station. I once had to meet at VicRoads HQ (Victoria's equivalent to NSW's RTA) when selling a stuff.

  • It doesn't matter what the scam is.

    By recognising that it is a scam you are 90% of the way there (to protecting yourself). The other 10% effort that is required is to block them and forget about them. Good luck.

  • With shifty people, I insist on meeting at a club so they either have to sign in or be a member. There’s no doubt bank note acceptors on poker machines are more reliable than my assessment of fraudulent notes too.

    • There’s no doubt bank note acceptors on poker machines are more reliable than my assessment of fraudulent notes too.

      How does that work in this scenario?

      • guess he's saying get people to sign in, using a license, cameras everywhere
        and they place money into the machine and cash out, printing a cash note to cash out at a cashier

    • This is actually a very good way to transact, I like your thinking.

  • Could always add a delivery charge and bring along dog or friends for backup. Do the deal on the driveway (may not of course be their house - I do the same with gumtree - use a nearby apartment block as the meet as it has well lit lobby and CCTV.

  • But they refuse to pick up, refuse receiving by post office, refuse to pay online.

    Apply three strikes and they're out rule.

    • Agreed, as the seller, dictate the terms. Since they refused all terms and wanting you to deliver that is your time that it is being taken up. I never deliver unless they have paid a deposit and usually I ask for some $ to deliver. I would ignore these sorts of "offers" and move on, just go by your gut feeling to weed out suspicious offers like these

  • request me to deliver it personally

    They will get you to go to someone else's house and they will be waiting outside and then do a runner with the item after you give it to them to inspect.

  • Red flags shouting with this one, don't go to their house, could be dangerous

  • Yeah as the seller always dictate the terms, you should be in control of how it plays out.

  • I think you would be up for bodily harm here/an ambush.

  • Meet in RSL club
    Or no deal