(Background: So I messed up. Last night my water bottle spilt on my dell laptop. I left it upside down for a while but needed to get some work done and ended up using it for like 5 hours straight no issue.
Left it on while I slept and woke to it off. It wouldn't turn on properly and I smelled smoke so I turned it off.)
So, I was thinking of taking it to a local repair, but I'm concerned that if I do, the remaining months of warranty I have with dell might get void…?
Dell has also offered to look at it for free but they expect the whole process of receiving, checking, repairing whatever, sending back to take 10-14 business days.
It may be a stupid question due to my not thinking clearly atm, but am I better off going with dell or trying a local place?
Edit: thanks for the replies all.
So what I've gathered from both replies here and generally looking stuff up online and calling services:
* dell is the better option to get it fixed because of customised parts
* The basic warranty for the remainder of the time is already void even if this incident is repaired
* Repairs probably will cost more then I paid (I got it for around $500 during black friday. So guess I'll start looking for new laptop now, but will be hard to find that price again)
* I should've turned it off for a long time/taken it in for repair before turning it on again, even though it was working fine for hours.
* H&C might cover this stuff (but I never got h&C, not a homeowner or credit card carrier.) (Also didn't get the premium dell warranty cos it would've been a 30% increase in price, which I guess shows that would've been worth it)
Anyways, thanks all. I'll wait on the quote from Dell and hope for a similar laptop deal/use a crummy old one in the meantime.