I bought a fairly big item from Kogan and it went out of stock immediately after I bought it. They sent me the manifest details the very next day but now it is stuck pending pick up. I called the courier company and was told that Kogan hasn't marked the item for pick up yet.
It has been nearly two weeks. They are not responding to email. Should I just do a chargeback and cut my losses? I suspect that they are actually out of stock and just holding onto my money until they get more stock now but I would rather buy from someone else at this point.