A new car delivery ETA is being perpetually delayed, is it possible to bail out of the contract and get the deposit back?
Last edited 02/05/2019 - 11:14
Would appreciate any thoughts on the following issue.
Paid a $1K deposit for a new car on 22/02/19. Was promised a 2 months max delivery frame, with "a very likely 1 month turnaround". Insisted to add this to the sale contract but was told they wouldn't do it as it is not a normal practice. The car itself is Hyundai i30 Active, so it's not something rare or unique.
2 months 1 week later, the car is still not here. Contacted the dealership and got this reply:
I have followed up with the transporting company and there have been major delays with all vehicles getting delivered to Adelaide in particular. Yours has been placed on a priority and they will not confirm until the car arrives here. I will text you every couple of days to keep you posted but I am dissapointed that it is not here yet.
That wouldn't be a problem if we stayed in Adelaide, but now we're moving to Sydney in a few weeks. This change in our circumstances had not been on the radar when I signed the contract.
We still want the car, but if it is not here by the end of May (that'd be over 3 months of waiting), I may have to get out of the contract. What are my options, besides involving a lawyer?
Updated, here is a pic of the contract t&c, that's the only thing that I signed. It doesn't specify the delivery time frame at all, which as I've mentioned was my concern at the time of signing, but this is one of the two largest Hyundai dealerships in Adelaide.
Updated, thanks everyone who replied. For now, the dealership promised to relocate the car to Sydney at their own cost if it is not here by May 23rd. It still was a verbal promise during a phone call, so I sent them a follow-up email summing it up. I'll post any updates here.