Confused with Tipping in America With Credit Card
So I'm in America at the moment and tipping via credit card has been highly confusing for me. Here's how the process has been so far:-
- I ask for bill and waiter brings me a bill
- I check the amount and provide my credit card and waiter takes it away
- waiter returns with a receipt for my meal and on the receipt I can provide a tip
- e.g. total = $40, tip = (i put $8 as it's 20%), total = $48
- waiter comes back takes the slip and ask me to keep my card
I've been really confused by this process as I've paid for my meal, but I haven't paid for the tip? They don't take my card away to make the payment for the $8. I checked my statement and I've only been charged for my meal.
I assume credit cards in america work differently where they can still charge for x% for tips after a transaction is made? Is that it? Am I support to expect more transactions in my statement in the upcoming days or have I been getting away with not tipping this whole time?