So I was reading the Victorian Fares and Ticketing Manual 2019 (as you do) and came across this on page 27
Free Travel Days
Christmas Day and New Year's Eve
On the following listed days and times, all customers will be entitled to free travel on all public transport services in Victoria, including:
- Metropolitan trains, trams and buses
- V/Line Regional trains (economy class only) and coaches
- Regional town and intertown buses (both myki and non-myki)
Christmas Day on 25 December 2019 from the first to the last service.
New Year’s Eve from 6 pm on 31 December 2019 to 6 am on 1 January 2020
Free travel entitlements apply to travel within Victoria only.
On the above listed days
- customers using a myki card are not required to touch on and off and will not be charged if they do touch on and off;
- customers travelling on non-myki V/Line services must obtain a free ticket for the service prior to travelling. Reservations are required on some non-myki V/Line train and coach services;
- no ticket is required for regional town and intertown bus services.
myki Pass holders are not eligible for reimbursement for the above free travel days.