TL;DR - What is short term best value gaming low profile card for Dell 9020 SFF case (PCI slot location issues)?
Anyone reading this from a search, consensus below is go with cheapest of 1650 or 1050ti (weird pricing now) and stick it in the short slot, minimal performance hit.
Research is driving me nuts. Spent way too many hours on this question - What low profile graphics card to get for a Dell — 1030, 1050 ti or 1650 (AMDs seemed hard to get in small form factor…. almost bought an Nvidia 710 cheapie, only to luckily realise it is only useful for multiple monitors and barely better than Intel stock GPU)
Youngest boy H, 8 years, wants to play with his older brothers (11 + 10) fortnite (and a few other games) on PC. I don't want to buy another expensive gaming rig till — NAVI/Ampere and AUD/USD and Corona shortages… But him playing on an intel GPU is just excruciating to watch.
Options explored that have failed and what I am now looking at.
* External GPU to a laptop (big fail) - https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/537547
* Buy a budget gaming rig… Need to spend close to 1k to get a lasting value when I already have 1070s in the other pc, may as well wait. Second hand options are usually dead end CPU.
- [current] lowest net cost - "Repossess" the Dell 9020 SFF I gifted mum, and setup the laptop H is using, upgrading the Dell
* Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF case.
* 8 GB
* 128 GB SSD (I have a few spinners I can add to keep SSD for his Fortnite install + O)
Here is a guy (video) doing the install - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w45ZOcXXzs of a 1650 low profile in the dell. He uses the PCIE short slot owing to double slot config.
Picture of the slots issue: (slots) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kkBMyoiScWe2XHDdht6SzXrYazu...
and installed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10el3IKtPRBUsP6_fGHKz3aVm1LX...
* It appears the 1650 low profile is cheaper new than the 1050ti second hand (~$275 vs $299).
* The option I was thinking of was the 1030, but I thought for a little more the 1050 or 1060 would go well with teh I5 CPU that is still good enough.
* I can potentially solve the PCI 16 express slot issue with an extender cable, but they are ~60 bucks extra, and then not really worth it.
So, should I:
* Get the 1650 low profile, and just stick it in the short PCI slot, keeps the heat down and good upgrade for a future low end pc. I don't think the pci extender is a good option.
* Get the 1030 as good enough and save a bit of cash.
He plays on a huge 4k monitor because that is what I had extra; 1080 will be plenty for him.
Money - just don't like wasting it. now I am wasting way more time than the value of either card!