I've been on a home automation kick the past month and was wondering what other life hacks the OzBargain community has to reduce 'friction' in your daily life?
Now friction is probably a silly word to use, and will lead to a lot of replies about lube. Basically I'm just looking for little hacks you have in place to make your everyday life easier - and hopefully cheaper in the long run.
Do you stock up on Toilet Paper when it's on special, or do you subscribe so a new pack arrives every fortnight/month?
Is there a way you combine exercise with work/entertainment?
Anything that will help give me more time in the day or minimise decision fatigue.
Summary of the most useful and regular comments below:
• Electric Locks - Saves forgetting keys, giving access to family and friends.
• Robot Vacuum Cleaner - more suited to those without small children OR hiring a cleaner once a fortnight.
• Calendar Reminder to take bins out, especially if there is alternating Green waste and recycling weeks.
• Temptation Bundling – Pair an unpleasant activity (exercise, ironing) with a pleasant one (Netflix, audiobooks, etc).
• Apple/Google Pay so carrying a wallet is less important
• PriceHipster and OzBargain Subscriptions on monthly/quarterly consumables. Alternative is Amazon Subscribe and Save.
• Tile tracker for keys and wallet.
• Password Managers – BitWarden is free, paid for 1Pass or Dashlane
• Automatic top up and direct debits.
• Smart Lights and Plugs, pair with routines for Alexa or Google Assistant.
• Pyroletic Oven – No more oven cleaning (just oven dusting?)
• HelloFresh / Lite and Easy – Easier for those without kids