There must be a number of reasons why this is probably an absolutely terrible idea but am interested to know them, or hear from someone else who has considered this!
This journey would be 1-2 days a week max, to work standard hours in the office (9-5, could easily to 8-4 as well). I work near the corner of Latrobe and Swanston street, so ideally would moor at docklands and catch the Latrobe tram up.
I have a mooring at Dromana should be able to use or a worst if there's no space (already a cruiser moored), rent part of a friends/neighbours mooring.
I've also (probably no surprise due to this question!) got zero boating experience (or clue really), so I'd need a licence and start as a completely clueless amateur.
Reasons why this is a bad idea:
- Impractical with the modes of transport - need to get to mooring with (specialist) wet weather gear, boat/jetski across, tram to work, shower etc.
- Pretty exhausting, very cold and subject to weather - could get stuck in the CBD if the weather turns bad, specialist wet weather gear required that could be incredibly uncomfortable
- Generally dangerous having to navigate the port/yarra river with commercial boats/ships
- Would need to pay for mooring (i.e. at NewQuay Marina) - likey to be prohibitavely expensive, even for 2 days a week.
- Cost of fuel/maintenance on the jetski/boat doing the number of Ks.
- Not for boating n00bs like myself
- Faster, more reliable than driving (i.e. no traffic, delays) - still subject to weather though!
- An amazing way to start/finish the day
- Get to dress like a sailor
So hit me with your thoughts, and be kind, I'm an idiot :)