I've just sold a reasonably high value item ($1500) on eBay and want to make sure I take all the necessary steps to protect myself against getting scammed before I post it.
Everything seems fine. It's not an item that attracts scammers, like a phone, or console, etc. But the buyer has paid via eBay/Paypal and their postage address is a PO box (in Australia, but in another state), so there's the potential for trouble.
Problems I'd like to avoid:
- Payment reversed due to stolen account, stolen credit card, or credit card chargeback.
- Buyer claiming the item never arrived, was broken, is fake, box was empty, contained bricks, etc.
- Buyer returning a broken or fake item, empty box, box full of bricks, etc and keeping the original item.
Steps I'll be taking:
- Speaking to the buyer over the phone. I've done this already and from what I can tell the buyer seems legit.
- Waiting until the funds have been transferred from eBay to my bank account before posting the item.
- Using a postage method with tracking, as well as signature on delivery.
- Photographing the item and serial number.
- Photographing the package and tracking number.
For those of you who've done this sort of thing before, is there anything else you'd recommend I do here?