Received the following email (out of nowhere) yesterday stating that the Westpac Altitude Amex card is being converted to an AMEX product on 24 Feb:
A reminder that on 24 February 2021, your American Express Westpac
Altitude Platinum Card Account will be automatically transferred to the new
American Express Elevate Credit Card.
The biggest impact is that if you are trying to wait out the 18 months before getting a new AMEX card so that you become eligible for sign up offers again, you will be impacted. I dare say a reasonable number of ozbargainers hold this bank issued AMEX so this is a bit of a warning as much of a deal - cancel before 24 Feb if you don't want this to happen: e.g. some previous deals I assume are all impacted by this:
- 17/2/2020 AmEx Westpac Altitude Black Card Bundle with Altitude Qantas 100K QFF Points $3K Spend
- 24/12/2019 Westpac Altitude Platinum Bundle MasterCard & AmEx, up to 90k Bonus Velocity Points, $3k Min Spend Per Card
- 4/7/2018 AmEx Westpac Altitude Platinum Bundle - up to 90K Bonus Qantas Points, $0 Annual Fee, $0 Qantas Rewards Fee
- 29/5/2018 American Express Westpac Altitude Platinum Bundle - up to 90K Bonus Qantas or Altitude Points - $0 Annual Fee for First Year
- 4/11/2018 American Express Westpac Altitude Platinum Bundle 90,000 Total Altitude/Qantas Points $0 Fee First Year
Anyway when I called to cancel, they actually offered me an upgrade to the Qantas Ultimate card ($450 annual fee but with $450 annual qantas travel credit) as well as 60,000 sign up points and $200 back once spent $3k in first 90 days and I actually felt this was a pretty good deal. This offer is available until 15 March so if you do get converted this is a no brainer if you plan to go anywhere with Qantas.
The best bit for me is that given I'm early in during my 18 month period, this allows me to get a pretty decent sign up option where otherwise I'd have to wait some time. I assume it works also if you already hold a separate AMEX issued card.
It turns out if you are eligible for the offer it takes you to this link https://www.americanexpress.com/au/credit-cards/upgrade/qant... if you're logged in so maybe give that a go.
Check out https://www.pointhacks.com.au/credit-cards/qantas-ultimate-a... to better understand the card.
Hope this helps