For those too sensitive to see it, yes it is an April Fools Day joke, something that we have been doing every year for the last couple of years. See our April Fools post in 2017 #1, 2017 #2, 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013. See response.
澳大利亚 2016 年人口调查指出：
但这不仅仅只关乎在澳大利亚的华人人口。还有就是中国的购买能力。最近十年来中国扫空了澳大利亚的奶粉鱼油，买了我们的房子，买了我们的农地，买了我们的煤矿，甚至还买了我们的政府官员。很明显地他们对便宜货也是很有兴趣的。几个星期前我与一个澳八根客聊天，他现在在另一家折扣网站工作，市场是在澳大利亚的中国人。他的网站突然挤爆从中国的访客来买澳洲这的奢侈品（iPhone X, 名牌包等等）假想澳八根也可借此打开有十四亿潜力的市场？喀亲！
- 网站名从 OzBargain 改成澳八根，并以红色为主题色
- Udemy 将提供学习普通话课程的优惠码
Australia is changing, and so should OzBargain
According to 2016 census and various stats that I cannot be bothered linking to, there are now
- More than 1/2 million China-born Chinese living in Australia.
- More than 10% of Sydneysiders claim to have Chinese ancestry.
- More than 100,000 Chinese overseas students studying in universities around Australia.
With geographic proximity to our East-Asian neighbours, overseas students becoming permanent residents after graduation and increasing influx of immigration — Australia becoming more Asianised is inevitable. Taking a look at photos and livestream from previous year's OzBargain meetups, and it is not hard to figure out OzBargain's dominating demographic.
However it's more than just the Chinese population in Australia. It is also about China's purchasing power. Over the last decade China has cleared out our milk powder & fish oil, bought out our flats & houses, our farmlands, our coal mines and even our politicians — and they are obviously also looking for bargains. A few weeks ago I had a chat with an OzBargainer who now works at a competitor deal site targeting Chinese in Australia. Instead of local traffic, his site is flooded with visitors from China shopping for luxury products in Australia (iPhone X, designer bags, etc). Imagine opening up OzBargain to 1.4 billion potential shoppers?! Ka-ching!!
So, to serve the ever-changing OzBargain demographic better AND to open this site to a huge potential market, OzBargain has also decided to change its course. OzBargain will now embrace the glorious Chinese-red (our new theme colour) and gradually change the language to Chinese. After all whenever "what language should I learn" got asked in the forums, the answer has always been Mandarin. Firefly/Serenity got it right 15 years ago — in the future most people will speak English and swear in Mandarin, and we all know which form of expression is more important.
- Our name will be changed to ào bā gēn and theme colour to red.
- Top navigation menu will all be changed to Chinese.
- Announcement will be done in Chinese, and for those who are linguistic challenged, a brief English translation will also be included.
- Dedicated Xiaomi link on the home page. That's the Chinese brand we all love. Unfortunately they still won't sponsor our Easter treasure hunt.
To realign with our future goal, these changes are planned for the rest of the year:
- Automatically show prices in ¥ Renminbi if you are visiting from China. We just need a bit adjustment to our implementation last year.
- Exclusive coupon code for free Mandarin lessons at Udemy.
- Real Estate Bargains section, especially houses around Selective high schools.
- Quick links to mail forwarding service to send Australian products back to China.
Finally, while we have not yet finalised a deal with CCP on their "data warehousing" project, it would be impolite to mention taboo subjects such as Tibet or Taiwan independence. These will be removed without notification.
PS: Anyone has Uncle Ma Yun's contact detail handy? I would like to ask him whether he is interested in acquiring a little Australian deal sharing website…