Optus is matching Telstra's offer of waiving mobile phone bill fees for volunteer firefighters, for the months of December and January.
Volunteer firefighters can use the Optus hotline - 1300 301 671 - to arrange the waiver.
Apologies for linking to a new story only, I'm searching for an official announcement by Optus but it's not easy to find. I'll post it here as soon as I can find one. See the edit below, but for the curious this is the original article I linked to. Ozbargainer Now Gone also posted a link to another news story in the Telstra thread.
Edit 1: Okay, due to the lack of an official announcement or other information I rang the number above and asked them what they need. This is what they told me:
- This is national and applies to all States and Territories.
- Ring the hotline above to register.
- You need to quote an official identifier from the fire service you're a volunteer with: badge ID, employee number, etc. (I asked if it extends to other volunteer organisations but it currently only applies to fire services. Hopefully they'll change this.)
- Pay your Dec & Jan bills as normal.
- Optus will collate all information and provide a credit to your bill in Feb.
Edit 2: Finally…something official from Optus which I've now made the primary link in the deal. Strangely, it's not up on their media page yet, I scraped this from their Twitter feed. It also doesn't shed any more light on the subject than what we already know, but at least it's coming direct from them.
Mod: Deal title is tagged [BF] which is a tag for all deals related to Bushfire Victims/Volunteers etc. You may choose to deprioritise this tag by using the new front page. Please click 'new' on the OzBargain home page, then 'personalise', then add bf in 'add a title tag', drag the slider to less, then save preference. You may also choose to add other tags to see more/less of those deals (eg your state, other states) or see more/less from particular stores.
For those affected or involved, see the Bushfire Relief event page. You can also use the new front page to prioritise the [BF] tag.