- A dual-e/SIM phone, with the primary/Australian mobile number on an eSIM, gives the flexibility of adding a physical and/or another digital SIM
- Apple iPhone
- Unlike an SMS, receiving a call to an Australian mobile number when overseas is not free, unless via Wi-Fi calling, which is currently available when roaming only to those using Telstra's network here (e.g. Boost)
- Using a secondary e/SIM for Wi-Fi calling with your primary is only possible if the secondary is not roaming, so likely local to its location
- If you have a VoIP provider like Crazytel for your fixed/landline phone number, then you could divert your Australian mobile number to it, and receive (as well as make) calls via their CrazyPhone app, which also allows you to set its caller ID as your mobile number:
total cost assuming away for 2mths/yr, using 4-5GB/mth:
total cost assuming away for 4mths/yr, using 5GB/mth:
- Australia Post International Roaming Plan works in over 90 countries (including Australia). You can port your existing mobile number in when you change to this plan, so friends and family can still call you on your regular mobile number, even while you're overseas. This plan is probably best when used in a dual-sim phone, and combined with an overseas data SIM/eSIM to give a useful amount of data. On this plan, a $5 recharge gives you 30 days to use:
- 50MB data
- A total of 50 minutes of standard calls to and from international fixed lines and standard local mobile, and voicemail. Note that making and receiving calls while still in Australia will eat into this allowance.
- 50 standard international SMS. SMS are free to receive.
- If you run out of data, call minutes or SMS, you can manually recharge through your online account, restarting the 30-day period.
- The CIS mentions an auto-renew function, which will renew whenever your 30 days run out.
- The CIS also says “Top-up before expiry to rollover any remaining allowances”. Unclear if rollover happens with auto-renew.
- Visible by Verizon: eSIM | 15-day | Unlimited | Free/$0 trial
- New Zealand
- Kogan Mobile: SIM | 30-day | 15GB | NZ$5 – requires NZ delivery
Last edited by Quarter Pounder on 2023/10/03 20:20