1 Year Accomodation in an Over-Water Bungalow for $41,334 @ Anantara Veli Maldives


I really hope an OzBargainer takes this up.

Package includes:
Unlimited nights luxury accommodation in an Over Water Bungalow for the duration of 2021.
Daily breakfast for two persons.
Shared return transfers between Anantara Veli and Malé as often as required.
25% savings on dining and spa.

As far as I can tell, there's no cashback offer….HOWEVER….pay with a Qantas credit card and you'll have enough points for flights to Singapore (a stone's throw away from the Maldives!)

UPDATE: 3.5% Cashback: https://www.cashrewards.com.au/anantara-hotels-and-resorts (Full credit to Joey4)

UPDATE 2.0: 4.2% Cashback: https://www.shopback.com.au/anantara-hotels-and-resorts (Thanks arctan)

"Neither of those work. Per the terms "Bookings can only be made by contacting [email protected]" i.e. you book via email. You can't book online, so no cashback tracking." (odysseus on the ball)


Related Stores



  • +116 votes

    FYI, one of the legitimate reasons for an exemption to leave the country includes: "You are traveling outside Australia for three months or longer"

    • FABULOUS. Finally some good news, thanks for sharing the update “travelling 3 months or longer” wasn’t on the list a couple of weeks ago.
      The whole problem will be returning home 😂 if ever…

  • This is epic. Hope one can swim.

  • This deal is so good I've actually signed up for 3 years

  • Wow 😮 I think I can survive on breakfast only for a year haha. OMAD diet

  • that is (profanity) AMAZING

  • +188 votes

    Time to figure out how flexible my company's "Work From Home" policy really is…

    • I'm thinking more along the lines of claiming this as a work related expense…I'm sure the ATO won't mind.

      • From the ATO:

        Accommodation expense claims
        You can deduct your accommodation costs (as well as meal and incidental expenses), if all of the following apply. You:

        • declare any travel allowance you receive as income on your tax return
        • are required as part of performing your work duties to travel away from home
        • are only working away from home for relatively short periods of time (you aren't living away from home)
        • did not incur the expenses because of a choice you made to maintain your residence in a different location to your place of employment
        • have a permanent home at a location away from the work location that you are travelling to
        • pay for the accommodation yourself and aren't reimbursed for the costs you incur.

        Emphasis added.

        Rent / mortgage isn't typically able to be claimed, but running costs (e.g. electricity, internet) are. I guess you could theoretically call the charge a running cost for your "home" office, but you'd need to apportion it between business use / personal use. (22%? 37.5hr / 168hr/ week?) Speak to an accountant, preferably one who doesn't advertise in the yellow pages. :P

        • Rent and mortgage interest can be claimed proportional to the space used as home office.

          • @TimCinel: If your home is your principle place of business (i.e. running your business from a home), yes.

            But if you're just working from home then "Occupancy expenses such as rent, mortgage interest, insurance and rates" are a "NO" if "your home is not your principle place of business."

            • @beeawwb: Two independent accountants recommended it to me since 2017. I don't know if ATO has updated their guidance on this since remote working has become so much more common this year, but that page certainly does make it sound like fully remote employees are not entitled to claim rent/utilities on dedicated home office space anymore.

              Pretty tough to argue that a dedicated home office isn't a "principal place of business" for a 100% remote employee.

              EDIT: There's a case not really captured on that page -

              Consider somebody who only works as a remote employee, in a dedicated office, from their home. Which of the following applies?

              you have a work area – a room such as a study or spare room is set aside primarily or exclusively for work activities but your home isn't your principal place of business – for example, you may have an office elsewhere, but work at home after hours


              you don't have a work area – your principal place of business is not at home, nor do you have an area or room primarily or exclusively set aside for work, but you do some work at home – for example, you might work for a few hours in the lounge room


              your home is the principal place of business – a business is run from home and a room is set aside exclusively for business activities. If this is your situation, see Running your business from home.

              Maybe not? "Principle place of business" terminology on this page steers towards self-employed. But this is the closest match.

              • @TimCinel: "Consider somebody who only works as a remote employee, in a dedicated office, from their home. Which of the following applies?"

                That actually represents me. I've worked from home as a remote employee with a dedicated office space since 2017, to the point where my company has stopped "paying" for a desk for me in our city office. (That is, in our internal procurement system each staff member is assigned a desk so that their cost centre can pay an appropriate portion of the lease in each floor/building. I have no desk assigned to me in that system, so my cost centre is not paying any building leasing costs for me.)

                The way my accountant explained it to me is that I am not the one "conducting business". The principle place of business is for my company which leases a building in Brisbane (and many other cities) for the purpose of conducting business. The "business" is the company which holds the leases, and I am an employee to whom they provide a desk or, in my case, infrastructure to connect to our systems which "live" in that building (e.g. my files are stored on my laptop but synced to a server in the Brisbane data centre)

                So in the case of "a business is run from home and a room is set aside exclusively for business activities" I am not running a business. I am employed to help run somebody else's business, that they conduct in a different location.

                Of course, different accountants may advise different things, and I suppose if I really wanted I would ask the ATO for their "official" answer. I believe the way they'd look at it would be "who has the ABN?" but I can't be 100% sure without asking.

                • @beeawwb: Yeah, I still completely agree that the way that page is written would indicate that fully remote employees are not eligible to deduct rent, interest, etc.

                  Despite that, I'm still not convinced that it's outright not allowed. Notice that "generally" is used to qualify these statements in ATO's official "Employees working from home" publication, and it then goes on to explain what happens if you do claim occupancy expenses as an employee … That certainly indicates that it's not forbidden.


                  As an employee, generally you can’t claim a deduction for occupancy expenses, which includes rent, mortgage interest, property insurance, land taxes and rates.

                  If you do claim occupancy expenses,
                  you don‘t get the full main residence CGT exemption, although you may be entitled to a partial exemption.

                  Even the page you linked qualifies the advice on the page with, "in general":

                  In general, the deductions you can claim depend on whether…

                  Will hopefully remember to ask my accountant (who deducted some of my rent and utilities in FY18) about this next year. Will also hopefully remember to report back.

              • +3 votes

                @TimCinel: Accountant here, don't do it if you are an employee, especially at the moment as it is a massive target area for the ATO with all the work from home going on.

                Also, as pointed out below, if you own your home and claim a portion of your home as deductible, ie a percentage of your mortgage interest, rates etc, it opens you up to capital gains tax on a portion of your home. Ordinarily your home, or main residence, is exempt from tax when you sell, so this can get quite expensive

                • @RMBC: Correct. Another accountant and registered tax agent here. You can only claim rent/mortgage/home insurance/rages etc. if it's a place of business and not readily convertible to private use.

                  If you're just an employee then you can only deduct running expenses. It's been like this for ever, COVID doesn't make a difference.

                • @RMBC: I have only previously claimed it while renting, never as an OO.

                  Aware of impact on CGT, thanks @RMBC / @bono

                  EDIT: No mentions? lame.

          • +3 votes

            @TimCinel: Watch out about that you could open yourself up to capital gains tax if you sell your principal place of residence, and the onerous task of record keeping lots of things to reduce the CGT.

      • Don't buy a watch on the same purchase and you won't be sus

    • Wifi is an extra $38,561 per year.

    • You'll not be an Australian resident for tax purposes. You can get it all back!

  • +12 votes

    $788 a week or $112 a night - not bad!

  • Is internet free and have good speed ? something to consider before working from Maldive. But for 3.4k a month and possibly need to buy dinner every day maybe a deal breaker !

  • Watch them go under in a month lol

  • +4 votes

    An author (ie. Steven King, JK Rowling) would get straight on this deal

  • All you can eat breakfast?